MYSA League Update 5/15

The following topics are discussed in the latest announcement from MYSA

  • Return-to-Play Plan
  • MYSA Return to Play Date
  • State Cup, Presidents Cup & Junior Cup update

May 15 Updates

Presidents, Executive Directors, DOCs, Registrars, and Administrators,We hope everyone is staying healthy and able to enjoy the great weather today. We wanted to send more information about Governor Walz’s Executive Order on Thursday as we received more information that impacts you.
Governor Walz Update on Return-to-Play Plan
We received further guidance from the Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission (MASC) about the intent of Governor Walz’s Executive Order announced on Thursday. We learned that the “10 person” requirement was meant largely for retail, even though the order seems to read otherwise.

We’ve been meeting daily with MASC and the other youth sport organizations that represent the task force that will submit recommendations and plans to the Governor’s office. MASC’s guidance has been to hold off on returning to play until more definitive answers are known.

Please know though, there is momentum around the youth sports conversation as the Star Tribune reported this morning. The goal at this point is to have clarity and direction about youth sports by June 1.

We encourage our members to begin planning for a possible return to the field in early June. What return to play means and looks like (training vs. games, etc.) is largely unknown, but know that there is momentum with many youth organizations to advocate for the eventual safe resumption of youth athletic activity.

TCSL and MYSA are aligned on this approach and are committed to further collaboration and transparency.

MYSA’s Return to Play Date
Following the guidance of MASC, MYSA’s Return to Play date remains June 1. This means we will not provide any insurance to registered players or coaches until June 1. Please keep in mind that this date may change based on guidance from MASC and/or the Governor, and we will let everyone know immediately if there are any changes.

Before returning to play, clubs must ensure that they have safeguards in place to minimize risk to their participants. You should create a plan for your workplaces and facilities that meets the requirements of the Governor’s executive orders and guidance on safely reopening businesses. It will also be crucial for you to work with your local partners (i.e. parks and rec departments, school districts and other public or private facilities) to create safe environments for returning to play.

State Cup, Presidents Cup, & Junior Cup
Regretfully, we are cancelling the 2020 Minnesota State Cup, Presidents Cup and Junior Cup. Based on MASC’s guidance and our current position in our Return to Play plan, we do not believe we can host these events. We hope to be able to move on to other phases in the near future, but that timeline is still unclear and with tournaments being in our last phase, we do not believe we will be able to meet that timeline.

On top of the unrealistic timeline, we want to make sure teams have adequate time to prepare for these events, and with our Return to Play set for June 1 that simply does not allow enough time.We are disappointed in this cancellation, however, safety is our top priority so we firmly believe cancelling the events is the right decision.

Any fee paid beyond the deposit will be returned to the team in the form of original payment.